There are times when an Indianapolis defective airbag attorney. Although an airbag is a commonly utilized, modern safety mechanism, unfortunately, there are specific incidents where airbags aren’t as safe as we’d like them to be. A defective airbag can cause serious injuries such as blindness, traumatic brain injuries, fractures, and even death. When a faulty airbag incident occurs, an Indianapolis defective airbag injury attorney can help you hold negligent airbag installers or airbag manufacturers accountable for the loss. Call a personal injury attorney at Smart2Mediate at 317-912-0956.
What are Airbags
Airbags are inventions that are responsible for saving thousands of lives. An airbag is a vehicle occupant-restraint system using a bag designed to inflate very quickly, then quickly deflate during a collision. The device consists of an airbag cushion, a flexible fabric bag, an inflation module, and an impact sensor.
However, if an airbag does not correctly deploy, severe injuries will occur. The resulting damage from an errant deployment could mean a potential lawsuit with an airbag manufacturer.
An Indianapolis airbag injury lawyer has a responsibility to help assemble a solid legal claim, and if presented in the best manner, could result in the reward of punitive damages.
Reasons Airbag Deploy
There are several reasons that an airbag can cause an injury which include the following:
- Oversensitive Airbags – An oversensitive airbag can quickly explode and block the driver’s vision, possibly causing a car accident.
- Injuries caused by burst airbags can result in mortal wounds where occupants may have to risk bleeding to death before help arrives.
- Failure to Deploy – If an airbag malfunctions by failing to inflate, the result is that occupants do not receive the level of protection promised.
- Faulty Internal Tethers – Improperly working tethers cause an airbag to inflate too much and cause harm to the vehicle occupants.
- Defective Crash Sensors – If an airbag goes off without warning or fails to go off at all, it can put the vehicle occupants at risk.
- Poor Design – Airbags are meant to protect the vehicle’s occupants from harm. However, an untested or faulty manufactured design could potentially result in serious injury up to and including death.
- Faulty Replacement – Often, recycled or rebuilt airbags have not been installed correctly in the vehicle. An improper installation can lead to a malfunctioning airbag that does not deploy appropriately.
- Defective Airbag Canisters – Historically, defective airbag canisters have ruptured, causing metal shards that have seriously injured vehicle occupants. Some instances have resulted in a wrongful death claim.
Injuries Resulting from Defective Airbags
There are injuries caused by defective airbags, which include:
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) injuries
- Eye injuries
- Spine injuries
- Burn injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Rib fractures
- Abdominal injuries
- Dislocated and fractured shoulders
- Head and facial injuries, scarring
- Premature rupture of membranes in pregnant women
Suppose you or a family member were involved in an incident where a defective airbag was used. In that case, it is essential to be seen by a doctor that is qualified to administer the necessary physical tests and to make an accurate assessment of any potential injuries sustained from the airbag deployment. If pain or discomfort occurs, speaking with a doctor immediately after the incident is even more so important. If need be, you might need a referral to be treated by a specialist if the doctor determines a serious injury occurred.
If the airbag has defects, then a punitive damage award could be possible. With a defective airbag, an experienced Indianapolis defective airbag attorney may be able to prove that a defective airbag was involved, and the court should grant a punitive damage award or an agreed-upon settlement amount.
However, not all airbag defect cases are “created equal,” meaning not all injuries associated with airbags result from product defects. Passengers and occupants are more at risk of injury when driving without buckling up since airbags are designed to work with a shoulder harness. When defects in the design or manufacture of airbags contribute to a vehicle occupants injury, responsible parties should still be held accountable for their negligence. To discuss potential damages from a defective airbag, call an Indianapolis defective airbag attorney to discuss a possible case.
Compensation for Airbag Injuries
After meeting with an Indianapolis airbag injury attorney who examines the facts of the case and assesses the causes and severity of the injuries, the lawyer can begin to calculate damages caused and compensation due.
Economic damages include the following monetary difficulties:
- Medical expenses
- Reconstructive surgeries
- Lost income
- Disability accommodations
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Scarring and disfigurement
Call an Indianapolis Defective Airbag Attorney
Airbags are innovations in automotive safety that save lives every single day. However, a defective airbag can be responsible for severe or life-threatening injuries. If you or someone you love has been injured by an improperly installed, defective, or malfunctioning airbag, you will need an Indianapolis defective airbag attorney. Call and speak with an attorney about the airbag deployment at 317-912-0956.